(backgrounds have been changed) Credit: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk

(Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)

There's even so this strange myth floating around that women don't masturbate.

You know, because women don't have sexual desire* and on the rare occasions we practise, we need a penis in our vaginas to get off**.

*We do.

**We do non.

As it's masturbation month, we chatted to a agglomeration of women who masturbate for two important reasons. Firstly, to prove that yes, women practice masturbate, and secondly, to find outwhywomen masturbate. Because we imagine many people are curious.

Here's what some women told us about why they masturbate.

Names accept been changed, because not everyone wants to conversation virtually their reasons for wanking on the internet.

Katie, 25

'I masturbate out of boredom or for the purposes of stress reduction.

'I'm rarely a raging ball of existence horny, so it'south rare that I'd e'erneedto masturbate, simply information technology feels like something I should exercise now and once again because of all the health benefits and sexual empowerment, blah apathetic.

'When I exercise go ahead and masturbate it always feels swell subsequently. It simply doesn't occur to me to do it unless I'm bored and accept cypher else to do.'

Gina, 23

'I can't always rely on someone else being around if I desire to cum so why non take matters literally into my own hands?

'Too, information technology'south dainty to be able to become off without whatsoever expectation of pleasing anyone else, and it helps me go to sleep quicker.'

Samantha, 25

'I masturbate generally when I'yard bored or feeling turned on – twice per calendar week depending on my mood and how tired I am.'

metro illustrations

(Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.u.k.)

Emma, 24

'Information technology'southward fun and also if I ever want to nap it sends me correct to sleep.'

Allison, 28

'I masturbate on a regular basis. For some reason, it'due south become somewhat of a forenoon routine, although when I'k going through stressful times in my life, I'll usually lose the urge for it for a few days.

'I've always been a very sexual person; both on my own and with partners.

'It's a release more than than annihilation else, a break from constantly being stuck in my encephalon. And there's the endorphin boost, too.'

Emily, xx

'Because I'g flight solo and a girl's got needs.'

Hannah, 24

'I guess I flick the bean when I'one thousand in the mood, like anybody else. But like with all things in my life, it'due south coloured by my religion and civilisation.

'You're not supposed to masturbate when you're Muslim so I tried not to, but of form, it feels good and so it'southward hard to stay away.

'Also, in Islam you're supposed to abjure from sex till marriage. Masturbating helps y'all stay celibate. Simply masturbation is too frowned upon. So information technology'due south a grab 22 state of affairs… best solved past a good wank.'

Lucy, 24

'I recollect masturbation is salubrious and equally I'm single and currently non looking for a relationship, I know I can pleasure myself without having the faff of having a fling where I might not even be satisfied.'

metro illustration

(Picture show: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)

Molly, 28

'I'k very new to masturbation because basically I went to a school where they said it was the ultimate sin.

'I was always scared to try it which sounds mad but genuinely, ever a bit of me thought f***, something very bad might happen to me.

'Only more recently I'm trying to do it because I take an upshot with orgasming and I think it's probably psychological. I'm taking control and doing it more than when I'm completely alone (I accept to exist alone for days, though, not hours) in a bid to experience more comfy and know more most what I can do to meliorate my overall sex life.'

Bister, 28

'I've been doing it since I was in my early teens. I liked the fashion information technology felt and take washed it ever since.

'I understand why people don't, only information technology's just something that's been a large part of my sex activity life for over x years.'

Tina, 26

'Being a single daughter ofttimes ways being sexually frustrated, as I never know when I'll take the next opportunity to accept good sex with someone.

'Sometimes I'll hook up with someone and the sexual activity will be terrible, and I won't orgasm.

'Masturbation is a great way for me to find what I like, and also to release some of that sexual frustration.'

Chloe, 23

'I do information technology because the stimulation from my bullet isn't something you can get from toy-less sex and it feels amazing, but I don't do it often considering I prefer sex in general.

'My boyfriend and I alive together then I don't feel like I demand to all that ofttimes, merely I do find it easier and/or quicker to reach orgasm with a bullet and clitoral stimulation on my own than with penetration.'

Daisy, 23

'I masturbate daily. It helps me relax and unwind after a stressful 24-hour interval. It allows me to escape the pressures in everyday life that I feel.'

metro illustrations

(Moving picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.united kingdom)

Louise, 31

'Sometimes I do it to relieve anxiety, or if I'thousand really hungover.

'Or on the three fertile days I have every month where I take a high sexual activity bulldoze, if I'thou not seeing anyone, I'll masturbate then to become information technology done with.'

Ella, 25

'I'm a sexual person and if I'm frustrated or feeling pressure masturbating helps release stress if I tin't become sex at that place and and so.'

Claire, 26

'I masturbate once a week, but purely focus on external buttons rather than internal ones.

'For me the release allows me to relieve any stress from the day. Or I'll do it if I'yard feeling horny only not in the position to have sex.

Veronica, 28

'And so for me, I do information technology for a few reasons. The main reason is I accept quite a high sex drive and and then it'south more of a "need" than anything else.

'I'1000 currently on medication which has reduced my sexual activity drive a bit so information technology's less regular but I used to take a strong urge to practice it near days.

'Other times I'll do it to de-stress or help me sleep which works a care for.

'I have besides tried it to aid menstruation pains; I'k not sure it really works but it definitely takes your mind off it for a few mins.'

MORE : Masturbation Month: People share their masturbation routines

More than : Why I don't masturbate

More than : Masturbation Month: Ii masturbation positions that you need to effort